Video Compression (HEVC and beyong, perceptual coding, Deep Learning), 2D/3D scene modeling for Video Compression, Video Streaming, Color metadata.
I have worked for Technicolor Research Labs in the following areas:
- Research on Video Processing, Content Representation & Coding With a special focus on MPEG standards (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and extensions, HEVC). I made many contributions to the new HEVC standard (JCTVC), chairing Adhoc Groups and Core Experiments. I studied and developed real-time video transcoders in software, various demonstrations and was representative in professional Broadcasters shows (NAB and IBC). Research areas also includes content format representation for new formats (UHD, HDR, 3D, Wide Gamut...), new coding schemes and paradigms (Color Gamut Scalability, Adaptive Resolution Coding, advanced scenes models), adaptive encoding schemes and perceptual coding.
- Video Streaming over Internet and other distribution systems (based on MPEG-2 TS and IP protocols). I have been active in the writing of the DVB specification for the deployment of the Digital Terrestrial Television in Europe. I have studied adaptive video streaming over IP networks in 1998-2000, using scalable video coding approaches, modified RTP protocols and joint source channel coding schemes. I actively participated to ISMA.
- Study and development of multi-band image sensor simulator for space platform, in collaboration with industrial partners (SEFT…). Study models for 3D scene synthesis, in multiple bands (visible, infrared…) (Photometry, 3D geometry, atmosphere, clouds...), real time synthesis images system with chroma-keying and controlled by a video studio camera.
- I have also been involved (setting-up and technical leading) in several European & French collaborative projects such as ITEA (HDTVNext), RACE (Monalisa), IST (Ozone, Medianet), RNRT (ScalIm@ge, VISI). I am also member of a number of standards organizations such as MPEG, AFNOR, DVB and ISMA.
- Best Video Processing Technology Award, IBC06, Real-time HDTV AVC Transrating demonstration with NetProcessors.
- Outstanding Simulation Paper Award SimTec’93, Simulation Technology Conference International 1993, Nov. 7-10, 1993, San-Francisco, California.
List of achievements:
- Several technical proposals adopted in HEVC standard (2013-2014) and in UHD Blu-ray (2014).
- Technology transfer to Business Unit of H.264/AVC Transcoder (2006).
- Technology transfer to Business Unit of Reference MPEG-2 Encoder Software (1998).